New Game Coming Eventually!

Started work on a new project with my roommate/Philly Geek of the Year award winner. You can check him out at After working together on some games in our experimental games class we decided to resurrect an old project. I won’t go into a lot of details until we have more to show but if you happen to be a fan of both Parappa the Rapper and Punch Out you’ll really dig this. Anyway here is the first version of our protagonist, who remains nameless for now…


Christmas Cards

I made some Christmas cards in maya this year. I’m trying out a style I’ve seen in a few places, namely Turnislefthome and the David O’Reilly episode of Adventure Time. Basically its just using a ramp shader, making a good color scheme, and applying that to a mesh with the edges hardened. Hard edges are zero degree normals I believe. The ramp shader is also set to Facing Ratio so that the color is pulled based on the ratio of the camera angle and the normal angle. Then I drop a mental ray ambient occlusion on them to give it a little nicer shading. The mesh’s surface is edited with the Transform Component tool to add some variation. It is kind of like noise, but I may write my own vertex noise tool since Transform Component isn’t the greatest tool to use. It took a while to mess with the lighting. All in all it was a fun break from animation and everyone seemed to like them.

candle xmasRender_02 yulelog

Demo Reel 2012

Reel Breakdown

1. Would You Be Impressed?
Responsible for Animation, Modeling, Lighting and Rendering. Done for Character Animation 1, the animation shows rounded characters as they change over the course of a short animation. Not only were the characters supposed to be well animated, but also convey personality through movement, as they lack a face. The story is two men, one timid and the other confident fight over a women who is playing them against each other to receive the best gift. Ultimately the timid one snaps and becomes violent, the women realizes the error of her ways, and the confident jerk is knocked unconscious.

Software Used: Maya 2012, Renderman for Maya

Completed in 5 weeks.

Delirium is an isometric beat ’em built on randomization and re-playability. Players navigate the avatar, Bag Boy’s, mind, fighting his mental demons. Death is permanent and levels are made from randomly selected tiles. Weapons and power-ups are also dropped randomly by enemies. My role was art director and animator. I painted and sketched concept art for the team of 4 modelers and then took the models, critiqued, rigged and animated them. Each enemy had a very unique rig as did the player which made rigging a challenge. A feature that was built but never implemented was split body additive animations so that the player could move and attack simultaneously.

Software Used: Unity 3D, Maya 2012, Photoshop

Completed in 10 weeks.

3. Streblo
Responsible for all elements. Streblo or Megaptera Homarus, is a hybrid of a humpback whale, an American lobster, and a coconut crab. The low poly base mesh was built in Maya to get a solid animation ready edge flow. Then the low poly was sculpted in ZBrush and the UVs were done using the UV master plugin. The displacement map was brought back into Maya and the wireframes were rendered using Maya Vector. Water caustic gobo for flavor.

Software used: Maya, ZBrush, RenderMan, Nuke

Completed in 4 weeks.

4. Avalanchin’

Responsible for all elements. A game in which the player controls an avalanche and tries to eat skiiers, snowboarders and various other creatures while dodging obstacles. The game was built in Flash with Action Script 3. It was my first attempt at extensible object oriented programming. It has a hierarchy of classes that inherit common variables that are easily changed to make unique obstacles and edibles. As an added challenge I used took input from the player’s microphone to fill a ‘rage’ meter. When filled, the player becomes invincible and the red effect was created using Flash’s bitmap data class. The current version is a free flash game and a version with more features is in development for mobile devices.

Software used: Flash

Completed in 9 weeks.